Yes, I’m starting over. If you’re here looking for “Write in the Middle,” thanks for your patience but it wasn’t doing either of us much good.
I set up hwfielding.com to share occasional essays and fiction, tell people about my writing life and projects, and maybe, someday, sell some books. But the posts were long and intermittent. Readers didn’t know what to expect, and neither did I. Worse, with the exception of one comment from an old friend, there was no interactivity.
So here’s a redesign to give us more give-and-take. Some highlights:
- Featured photos on the cover, sharing some of the joy and beauty I’ve found in this world we share.
- Headlines designed to pique your curiosity so you click through to the post.
- When you click through, you’ll see the featured photo in large format. The accompanying text will be short, usually about two minutes reading time, and not necessarily related to the pretty picture. I’ll focus the essays on the things we have in common as people living here together in this world.
- Many of the posts will quote my collection of “Living Here” columns for the Republican-American. These new essays will include links to how to retrieve the original columns from the online archive at Newslibrary.com. I’m doing this to demonstrate its continuing value in hopes of one day publishing one or more collections based on the original material.
- From time to time, maybe once a week, my friend The Rhetoric Referee will make an appearance to comment on how media and politicians on both sides steer the narrative unfairly.
- Of course, I’ll continue to give you the latest Bubble Wrap news that’s ready to pop.
- At the end of the week, I’ll account for my professional writing progress (or lack of it), what I’ve learned, and where I’m going from here.
- I may continue occasional sneak peeks of fiction, but for copyright purposes I may be converting those to premium content for subscribers only.
- Oh, and sunrises and sunsets and rainbows and flowers. My wife and I enjoy predicting, rating, and reviewing sunsets where we can find them. This might give us the chance to do that live and in color. Stay tuned!
It’s my challenge to myself, and, like a new year’s resolution, I have no idea how long it will last. I do know this, though: It will be a lot more fun with some friends along for the ride. Want to join me? Comment on some of the posts, Like my page on Facebook, follow this blog in WordPress Reader, or subscribe to the posts by email in the form below. If you want to get newsletters and insider updates by MailChimp, use the form at the bottom of the sidebar to the right. (I promise I won’t spam you.)
Many thanks! I look forward to Living Here Together with you!
2 thoughts on “On promises and starting over”
I look forward to reading more of your posts and hope to see lots of pictures of Mother Nature. It promises to be a breath of fresh air and Stayin’ Alive!
Thank you, Shekhar! I’m looking forward to it too. I hope the photos and thoughts will measure up.